Do Pregnancy Pillows Help Back Pain?
You are excited to be bringing a new life into the world, but the changing body that comes along with the pregnancy may not be as much fun as you thought it would be.
As your body changes to accommodate you and your new roommate, many things have to move and adjust to compensate. Your body’s temperature goes all out of whack, your mood is suspect, and your body begins to betray you as it is riddled with aches and pains.
But thankfully there is something that you can do to help with the pain. By using a pregnancy pillow, you can relieve some of those pains and help your blood circulation as well as your sleeping habits. This will allow you to feel more comfortable and well-rested in your pregnancy.
So, in this article, we are going to discuss the impact of pregnancy pillows on the back pain and give you a few tips on how to lessen your pain and how to pick the right pillow.
Relieving Pain During Pregnancy
Back pain can be debilitating if it is left unchecked. As an expectant mother, it can be frustrating and exhausting too! Here are a few ways that you can combat back pain while carrying that little bundle of joy:
- Regular exercise can be beneficial. Of course, you need to consult your physician and it should be light exercise, but once you get the go-ahead from the guy or gal in the white coat ten this could help relieve some of that back pain
- Sit back and relax! Whenever you are sitting down you should elevate your feet. This can help decrease the risk of edema’s and help with that lower back pain
- Cat naps are a great way to give your body a little rest and that will help with the aches and pains
- Pregnancy pillows are your friend. That is what we are discussing and by using one can help support your bump which will relieve the stress on your back and will allow you to find the right position for some good old-fashioned rest
- Use a heating pad when you can. Gentle heat will help with blood circulation which will help lessen the aches and pains
So, as you see a pregnancy pillow is one of the best ways to combat the stress put on your body. But how do you choose a good one?
How to Choose a Pregnancy Pillow
The end game when choosing a pregnancy pillow is to relieve the stress on your body. This can be difficult as there are so many styles and types to choose from. Here are a few key tips that will help you with your decision.
- Have a comfortable starting point. That means making sure that your bed is comfortable because no matter how good your pillow is if the bed you are sleeping on is uncomfortable the benefits of the pillow will be counteracted
- Next, up to make sure your other pillows are good and supportive for your neck
- If your lower back pain is mainly caused by the weight of your bump, then a wedge pillow may be the right choice for you
- Also, if you lean towards the back when you sleep on your side then a wedge pillow will be good too
- If your pain is centered in the hip and thigh area, then there is something wrong with your alignment when you sleep. For this issue, a whole-body pillow would be a good fit
- Don’t forget to support your feet! That means when you purchase that whole-body pillow, make sure it is long enough to support your feet as well.
If you can start using a pregnancy pillow as soon as possible you may be able to keep from suffering from the pain. Not that the pain will all be erased, but starting early will help you become comfortable with the pillow and get better sleep earlier and as we mentioned, good sleep can help with all that pain.
So, do pregnancy pillows help back pain? A pregnancy pillow helps with all the aches and pains associated with pregnancy but is exceptionally beneficial when fighting back pain.
The weight of the baby bump mixed with an inability to have proper body alignment when sleeping are some of the biggest reasons for that back pain. So, making sure you have the right pregnancy pillow and finding the right position to sleep will drastically help with that back pain.